In 2018 – just long enough to have forgotten exactly how long it had taken to produce ‘The Art Of Water’ – the seed of an idea was sown for a new photomontage and in July Michela began to collect images of Buxton for ‘Aquae Arnemetiae: A Town Built On Water’.
The background is again formed by a grid. In contrast to the randomly chosen 10 by 10 of ‘The Art Of Water’, Michela decided to develop a geometry that drew reference from some of Buxton's ‘vital statistics’:
- At full size the image measures 45.44 cms or 17.89 inches, 1789 being the year that construction of The Crescent was completed.
- The grid interval (2.67cms) is based on the temperature of the hot springs, 27 degrees Celsius
- The completed work includes 230 images, one for each year from 1789 to the planned re-opening of The Crescent Hotel and Thermal Spa in 2019.
The starting point was the inclusion of those buildings most closely associated with water and the development of Buxton as a spa town. The curious photographer’s eye has been unable to resist either the small details that we frequently overlook, or some of the town’s present day icons. There are also two images to represent ‘Buxton Water’; one you may recognize if you find it, the other you are unlikely to do so, but it is representative of the creative in-camera image making for which Michela is best known. Placement of the images within the grid took account of their predominant colour, and that of the stone surround to the lion's mask.
Available as a Limited Edition Print in one of two sizes: 17.89 inches, and 23 cms. Please get in touch if you are interested in the larger print which comes with an accompanying 42 page booklet featuring all 230 images. Edition size is 50.
Aquae Arnemetiae: A Town Built on Water
Price displayed is for a Limited Edition Print, image size 230x230mm, and includes UK post and packing. Print only, on fine art paper, ready to mount and frame.
- Orders for delivery outside the UK.
- Large print, image size 17.89 inches / 45.44mm square.
- Framed works for collection / local delivery only.